VP (Head) Medical Affairs | report to CEO | PhD / PharmD / MD | Leading Anti-Infectives Pharma | New Jersey: RETAINED SEARCH
Cornerstone Search Group’s Medical Director Practice has been retained by one of the world’s leading anti-infectives pharmaceutical companies to help them hire their Head of Medical Affairs, a Vice President position that attractively reports directly to the CEO. Our client has a portfolio of approved treatments for a range of serious infections used throughout the healthcare eco system, including in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and infusion centers.
Our client is seeking an MD, PhD, or PharmD with experience in the infectious disease / anti-infective or acute care / critical care settings who wants to work in a collaborative, innovative, and pro-active environment and serve as a member of an Executive Management team that is passionate about saving lives.
SCOPE IN A NUTSHELL:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP (Head) of Medical Affairs will serve on the CEO’s Executive Team that works collaboratively to define the company’s vision, strategy, and direction, including business development. This VP will have overall responsibility for the development and implementation of integrated medical plans and tactics for the Company’s portfolio and manage a current (and growing) team of in-house and field-based personnel. This VP is accountable for leading publication plans, generating scientific content, developing clear medical communications, and managing KOL relations and advocacy.
LOCATION: Our client is based in New Jersey and is ideally seeking candidates that either currently live in the NJ/NY/PA/CT area or are open to relocating. This very attractive area of New Jersey is accessible from NYC by public transportation, is home to excellent school districts (NJ has the country’s highest-ranked public school system), is within commuting distance of many high-end urban, suburban, and rural areas (including a town ranked as the #1 town in America to raise a family), and is within commuting distance of most of the pharmaceutical companies in NJ and NY as well as many in PA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As a member of the Executive Team, help in defining the company’s vision, strategy, and direction (including business development activities).
- Provide leadership, coaching, and strategic direction to the MSL team.
- Develop and execute key opinion leaders, scientific congress, and centers of excellence medical engagement strategy. Establish strong relationships with local and national KOLs in order to serve as a conduit for the flow of information between the medical/scientific community and the Company.
- Plan, design, and manage medical advisory boards.
- Manage Medical Information to ensure the efficiency of processes and robust communications.
- Provide therapeutic expertise into the overall strategy for the Company’s brands.
- Collaborate closely with commercial counterparts to ensure strategic alignment.
- Lead the development of high quality and effective medical and scientific messages and data used in communicating with medical and scientific stakeholders (e.g., training materials, medical information response letters, educational materials).
- Provide medical and scientific leadership and input into the development of a communication and publication strategy, including overseeing or contributing to the medical content of all relevant materials (e.g. manuscripts, abstracts, posters, symposia, educational and promotional materials).
- Propose and lead evidence generation activities within Medical Affairs.
- Provide medical review of the medical information associated with CME events, new data presentations, educational slides, HCP materials, and letters for healthcare professionals.
- Help evaluate in-licensing opportunities and other business development activities.
- Represent the Company at medical meetings, advisory boards, outreach meetings at key institutions, etc.
- Responsible for the financial management (i.e. forecasting, budgeting) for Medical Affairs.
DESIRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- PhD, PharmD, MD (or MD equivalent) required
- Training and/or experience within such relevant therapeutic areas as infectious diseases, anti-infective, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, acute care, critical care, etc.
- Prior pharma industry Medical Affairs leadership experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience (ideally with direct reports)
- Experience ideally with pre-launch, launch, and post-launch activities
- While you will be managing a current (and growing) team, you still need to have the ability and desire to be hands on when needed
- Seeking someone with a track record of innovation
- Seeking someone who can work collaboratively with a CEO and Executive Management team that is passionate about saving lives, innovative in their approaches, and committed to excellence.
Corey S. Ackerman, JD | Senior Partner – MD Practice Lead
Courtland Miras | Senior Director - MD Practice
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP – Life Sciences Executive Search
Parsippany, New Jersey USA
www.cornerstonesg.com | 973.656.0220
Cornerstone Search Group, recognized by Forbes as one of the "Top 100 Executive Search Firms" and by Hunt Scanlon as one of the "Top 50 Healthcare & Life Sciences Executive Search Firms", is a Life Sciences Executive Search firm that helps companies based around the world, ranging from startup biotechs to Top 10 pharmas, to find, attract, and hire talent for their US and globally based leadership positions (CxO and xVP levels) as well as their critical Director-level roles.
Keywords: antibiotics antibacterial antivirals antiparasitic antimalarial antibiotics antibacterial antimicrobial mycology anti-infective infectious disease virology acute care critical care