SVP (Head), EARLY CLINICAL DEVELOPMENT – Late-Stage Oncology (liquid/solid) Biotech: RETAINED SEARCH
- Well-funded and publicly traded
- 9 clinical-stage assets
- CMO’s designated successor
- New Jersey
SUMMARY: Cornerstone Search Group has been retained for a newly-created SVP, Head of Early Clinical Development position (2nd in charge to the CMO) to lead a robust early clinical and pre-clinical development pipeline. Our long-term client is a highly attractive, well-financed, early commercial stage, publicly-traded oncology (liquid & solid tumor) biotech with 1 approved drug, a self-discovered pipeline featuring several late-stage assets with several FDA submissions planned in 2021 (with multiple Fast Track designations) and many early clinical stage and preclinical assets, and a stock price that has risen nearly 50% over the last year. The CMO/hiring manager is an accomplished industry veteran who is looking for someone who is also capable of being his successor as this will be the highest-titled MD reporting to him. We know the CMO well from having helped him hire several of his direct reports.
This is a “best-of-both-worlds” opportunity because you will both enjoy the benefits of working in a smaller environment (entrepreneurial, fast-decision making) filled with experienced and personable industry veterans while simultaneously having the comfort and security of working for a well-funded, publicly-traded company ($4Bn market cap and near 50% stock price increase in the past year) with revenue (1 approved drug), a large (10+ asset) self-discovered clinical and late preclinical pipeline, and multiple strategic relationships with top pharma companies. Our client has deftly built a culture that marries the spirit of a biotech with the professional and polished nature of an established company.
As compared to mid-size and large pharmas, this opportunity allows you to cut through the “red tape” because you’ll be reporting directly to the CMO, interact with the CSO and CEO, and present to the Board. Thus, this role provides the opportunity to make an immediate strategic and meaningful impact in a growing development organization on current and future clinical programs as this company has a prodigious clinical and pre-clinical pipeline.
They are looking for an individual with strong oncology clinical development experience who can develop strategy, work well cross-functionally, build and manage a team, and also remain a hands-on influence on the department.
LOCATION: New Jersey.
Our client is situated within reasonable commuting distance of all areas in North and Central NJ, as well as Eastern Pennsylvania, Southern New York State, and New York City. This area of New Jersey is near many other pharmas (and Fortune 500 companies) as well as to New York City via public transportation, has a diverse international culture, has many top-ranked public school systems, and feature diverse places to live (small cities, suburbia, farm/horse country).
RELOCATION BENEFITS: Our client can provide relocation assistance.
ATTRACTIVE FEATURES ABOUT THIS POSITION / COMPANY:
- High Visibility/Strong Stability: In this smaller environment, you will have direct interaction with the C-level leadership. As compared to larger pharmas, meetings are set up quickly and less formally, decisions are made quicker, and things just get done.
- Large & Diverse Pipeline: Our client’s self-discovered pipeline features multiple candidates in each stage (Phase I – III) and address a wide range of solid and liquid tumor indications.
- Strong Funding: This public biotech has the necessary cash reserves (>$500m) to support the development of its large pipeline.
- Share in the Company’s Success: This publicly-traded company has an attractive long-term incentive stock plan with both RSUs and Stock Options. With 3 of its assets slated for FDA submission in 2021, this is a real opportunity to share in the success of a company at a critical stage in its growth cycle.
- Able to Hire Top Talent: This company has the right titles, compensation, and location that will enable you to attract and hire top talent to your team. They have hired key members of their team from such stalwart companies as Celgene, Merck, Janssen, BMS, Novartis, etc.
RESPONSIBILITIES: CHALLENGES, EXPECTATIONS AND DELIVERABLES FOR THIS POSITION:
- Strategize, conceptualize, and communicate both short and long-range strategic plans for the compound, disease, indication, and product that are aligned with company’s growth goals.
- Lead a robust Early Clinical Development pipeline and shepherd multiple additional programs through IND filing over next 12-18 months.
- Building and lead a high performing team. This company has the right titles, compensation, location, and culture to attract top quality people.
- Accountable for driving the early clinical development strategy aligned with the regulatory strategy to achieve business goals of product registration in the US, Europe, and Japan.
- Represent clinical R&D within global cross-functional project teams.
- Ultimate accountability for overall clinical projects’ budget and timelines from IND to proof of concept in collaboration with the Head of Clinical Operations and other functional heads.
- Implement strategy for the identification and relationship management of KOLs and PIs.
DESIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCES / ACCOMPLISHMENTS / ABILITIES:
- MD required.
- Strong Oncology clinical development experience is required. Having both liquid and solid tumor experience would a plus.
- Late stage and/or NDA/BLA/MAA/PMDA submission experience would be a plus as CMO is seeking a designated successor.
- Ideally 10+ years of pharma/biotech industry experience, ideally leading multiple assets and managing people.
- Thought leadership around the developing trends in drug development including, pathways, biomarkers, companion diagnostic, study design and analysis.
- Development of new registrations strategies (new end points; MRD, negativity, new patient populations).
- Ability to integrate medical knowledge with regulatory and commercial input.
- Understanding/familiarity of commercial processes and issues including payor/pricing, patient benefit/evidence-based outcomes, market access)
DESIRED LEADERSHIP / MANAGEMENT SKILLS:
- Ability to build, coach, and drive a team and individual performance in a global cross-functional environment.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills for bridging scientific and business stakeholders. Collaborative leader able to drive consensus and still make independent tough decisions when necessary.
- Global mindset; experienced in promoting diversity of thought, experience and perspectives that collectively drive execution with excellence.
Thomas Fascia | Partner
E: email@example.com | P: 973-656-0220 x717
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP - Life Sciences Executive Search
Six Campus Drive | Suite 301 | Parsippany, New Jersey 07054 USA
www.cornerstonesg.com | 973.656.0220
Examples of Retained Search Assignments:
- CEO | specialty start-up
- US CEO | established European small pharma
- CMO | late-stage public biotech
- CMO | mid-size pharma
- CSO | mid-size global biotech
- President/US Commercial Head | OSD generics
- SVP, Head of Global Medical Affairs | mid-size oncology company
- SVP, Head of Global Regulatory Affairs | late-stage Israeli biotech
- Group VP, Global Commercial Head | API Business Unit | Indian pharma
- VP, Global Head of Biometrics | NYC commercial-stage biotech
- VP, Head of Regulatory Affairs | Boston biotech
- VP, Head of Regulatory Affairs | NYC commercial-stage biotech
- VP, Head of R&D Operations | Boston biotech
- VP, Head of Health Economics & Outcomes Research | Top CNS specialty pharma
- VP, Head of Real-World Evidence | Top 5 pharma
- VP, Head of Heme/Onc Clinical Research | Public oncology biotech
- Executive Director, Head of Global Clinical Pharmacology | Public oncology biotech
- Executive Director, Head of US Drug Safety & PV | Chinese oncology biotech
- Medical Director, Clinical Development | Boston biotech
- Medical Director, Translational Medicine, Neuroscience | Top 5 Biotech
Keywords: VP Vice President Vice-President ED Executive Director heme-onc