Head, R&D Data Science Strategy for CNS | MD or PhD | Top Global Pharma | work from CA, NJ, PA, or MA: RETAINED SEARCH
Cornerstone Search Group’s HEOR/RWE/Data Science Practice (est. 2008) has been retained by one of the industry’s most respected and successful pharmaceutical companies to identify an innovative leader to serve as their Head, R&D Data Science Strategy & Portfolio Management for their Neuroscience (Psychiatry and Neurology) Therapeutic Area. This highly visible, strategic, and impactful team leadership role reports to an inspiring Chief Data Science Officer who in turn reports to the Global Head of R&D, who is a passionate believer in the importance of integrating Data Science into every facet and function of R&D (from Discovery through to Clinical Development and Regulatory Submission) rather than it being a mere supportive or bolt-on function.
IN A NUTSHELL (see the full scope of responsibilities further below), this position will: (1) sit on the cross-functional leadership team of the Global R&D Head for Neuroscience, (2) define and execute the data science strategy for the CNS TA to improve the probability of success and accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of new medicines, (3) along with a team of direct reports will design and managed a portfolio of data science projects and programs, and (4) will partner with the Data Science department’s analytical, programming, and platform groups to execute on that portfolio.
WE ARE SEEKING (IDEALLY) AN MD OR PHD WITH:
(1) strong Neurology or Psychiatry therapeutic area knowledge ideally gained in a Discovery/Research and/or Clinical Development capacity, and
(2) good-to-strong knowledge of a Data Science related field (e.g., RWE or HEOR or Epi or Bioinformatics or Computational Biology or Data Analytics or Statistics or AI/ML); and
(3) excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills with the ability to present technical solutions in a simple manner and can communicate the CNS pipeline and business implications; and
(4) a background in pharma/biotech, strategic consulting, academic research, or a data science-related vendor.
4 HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE FEATURES OF THIS OPPORTUNITY:
(1) Employer of Choice: Our client is considered a pre-eminent industry leader, lauded as a great place to work, enjoys a sterling corporate reputation, has an outstanding pipeline (diverse, innovative, and large), and enjoys increasing revenue across a wide range of products (many recently approved blockbusters) rather than just one or a few dominant products that may face patent expiration and/or competitive threats. It is not only a company that you can be proud to work at, but it has the tangible and intangible qualities that will help you attract and retain top talent for your team.
(2) Influence and Impact: You will report into the Global Head of Data Science who reports directly into the Global Head of R&D who believes passionately in the role Data Science can and should play in all R&D activities ranging from Drug Discovery to Regulatory submissions and everything in between (i.e., HEOR, BD, Clinical Development, Translational Science/Medicine). This company has Data Science in the right high-level place within the organization, the right structure, the right resources, and the commitment from the top to drive and maximize the impact of Data Science in many ways that are lacking at most other companies.
(3) Career Growth: Our client is one of the few pharma companies that provide their top performers with the ability to “spread their wings” and take on new roles throughout the organization rather than keeping them siloed in one area of expertise. This is one of the many reasons why they have low turnover.
(4) Ability to Work and Hire from Multiple Locations: Our client has hubs in California (Northern and Southern), New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts, giving you location flexibility if you need to, or want to, live in different areas (now or in the future), and very importantly allowing you to hire your team from these data science hotbeds.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports to Chief Data Science Officer, who reports to Global Head of R&D.
- Sit on the leadership committees of the Global R&D Head for CNS.
- Create and execute a vision of data science for the CNS therapeutic area that is aligned with both the company’s overall Data Science strategy and the unique needs of the CNS TA’s R&D (Drug Discovery though Clinical Development) efforts.
- Manage and mentor an existing and growing team of Program Managers (Director level) accountable for the pulling together of cross-functional expertise (internally and externally) to ensure the successful implementation of the high value Data Science use cases. Develop top-notch talent that can “speak” both Life Science and Data Science.
- You and your Program Manager direct reports will partner with the Data Science department’s Data Analytics, Programming (AI/ML), and Platform teams to develop, implement, and scale complex analytical algorithms, extract relevant insights, and use these insights to drive decision making for product development programs.
- Drive the adoption of data science insights and a data driven mindset in the CNS R&D organization.
- Lead the TA’s external and internal innovation in data science across the pipeline from exploratory research to late clinical development.
- Drive therapeutic programs at all stages of the pipeline with existing and novel data science methods.
- Identify external data sets of value to internal programs and set up mutually beneficial collaborations and agreements.
- Identify and assimilate emerging trends in data science and attend relevant meetings/conferences.
LOCATION: This position can be based in California (San Francisco or San Diego), New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or the Boston/Cambridge, MA area.
RELOCATION: Our client can offer an attractive relocation plan for a post-COVID relocation. In the meantime, our client is not requiring people to work on-site.
COMPENSATION: Our client offers one of the industry’s strongest and most comprehensive compensation and benefits packages and can offer a sign-on bonus to offset unvested stock and forfeited annual bonus.
Rita Boyle | Partner
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | P: 973.656.0220 x735 | M: 908.334.1904
Corey S. Ackerman, JD | Senior Partner
E: email@example.com | P: 973.656.0220 x 716
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP – Life Sciences Executive Search
6 Campus Drive | Suite 301 | Parsippany, NJ 07054 USA
www.cornerstonesg.com | 973.656.0220
Representative Retained Search Assignments:
- Medical: Multiple CMO, Global Head of Clinical Development, Medical Affairs and Drug Safety/PV search assignments as well as numerous position as the Director, SD, ED and VP level for biotech/small/medium/large pharmas
- HEOR/Market Access/RWE: Multiple VP/Head positions and 150+ positions at the AD/Dir/SD and ED level for biotech/small/medium/large pharmas
- CSO | mid-size global biotech
- US President | European Pharma
- SVP, Head of Global Medical Affairs | mid-size oncology company
- SVP, Head of Global Regulatory Affairs | late-stage Israeli biotech
- SVP, Quality | generic pharma
- Group VP, Global Commercial Head | API Business Unit | Indian pharma
- VP, Data Science - RWE | Top 5 Pharma
- VP, Head of Regulatory Affairs | Boston biotech
- VP, Head of Regulatory Affairs | NYC commercial-stage biotech
- VP, Head of R&D Operations | Boston biotech
- VP, Head of Health Economics & Outcomes Research | Top CNS specialty pharma
- VP, Head of Real-World Evidence | Top 5 pharma
- VP, US Head of Oncology Medical Affairs | Japanese Pharma
- VP, Head of Heme/Onc Clinical Research | Public oncology biotech
- VP, Head of Global Drug Safety & PV | Chinese oncology biotech
- Executive Director, Head of Global Clinical Pharmacology | Public oncology biotech
- Medical Director, Clinical Development | Boston biotech
keywords: San Francisco Los Angeles San Diego California Massachusetts, Boston, Cambridge, New York City, Philadelphia, Princeton, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, central nervous system psychiatry psychiatric schizophrenia mental health depression anxiety mood disorders MS multiple sclerosis RMS neurodegenerative Parkinson’s Alzheimer’s epilepsy dementia stroke