Head, Patient Advocacy – the Americas | Direct Reports | Top Rare Disease Commercial-Stage Biotech | Boston Area: RETAINED SEARCH
Summary: Cornerstone Search Group has been retained by a top commercial-stage, rare disease, Boston-area biotech for a newly-created senior Patient Advocacy leadership position that will lead the growing HQ- and Country-based team responsible for the US and The Americas (North/Central/South America). This biotech’s marketed therapies and robust pipeline of life-changing “first/only-in-class” therapies cover a range of therapeutic areas and rare and ultra-rare disease indications. The CEO has demonstrated a strong commitment to Patient Advocacy not only in terms of dedicating resources, but also based on the high level it sits within the organizational structure rather than it being tucked under Medical or Commercial. To attract and retain experienced talent, our client offers highly competitive compensation and benefit programs (including RSUs rather than risky stock options, as well as progressive work-life balance policies), relocation, and sign-on bonuses to offset forfeited annual bonus and unvested stock.
Position/Title: Head, Patient Advocacy – the Americas (with direct reports)
Location: Boston Metro Area with work-at-home flexibility.
Relocation: Robust relocation assistance is available.
Remote Working: Our client will consider candidates who live outside the area who can work on-site 3 days a week.
ATTRACTIVE FEATURES ABOUT THIS POSITION & COMPANY:
- Organizational Structure: C-level is very supportive of the function, supporting it strongly with resources and by aligning this function at a high-level of the org structure rather than having it reporting under Medical or Commercial.
- “Best of Both Worlds”: Our client combines the attractive features of a fast-growing entrepreneurial Biotech (fast-paced, agile, empowering people to take chances and make an impact) with the stability and benefits of a commercial-stage company (approved treatments, deep late-stage pipeline, very strong salary/RSUs/benefits/relo/sign-on bonuses, etc.)
- Stout Pipeline: Recognized as one of the most innovative biotechs, our client has a robust pipeline of early- and late-stage life-changing therapeutic assets across a range of indications.
- Compensation: They are proud to offer one of the industry’s most competitive compensation and benefit packages to attract and retain experienced top talent. Includes fast-vesting RSUs (not stock options), progressive work-life balance policies, and sign-on bonuses to offset annual bonus and unvested stock forfeitures.
- Drive, build and enhance strategic alliances with key national and international stakeholders, including patient advocacy groups, physician advocacy groups, academic organizations, rare/ultra-rare disease-oriented organizations (e.g. NORD) and other relevant stakeholders. By interacting closely with key non-government stakeholders, actively help position the company as a leading rare disease biotech and progressive thought leader that can be a valuable resource for patient advocacy organizations and other major influencers of health care policy
- Represent Patient Advocacy on pipeline R&D programs.
- Manage country-level patient advocacy direct reports in different markets.
- Continue the build out of the Patient Advocacy teams in The Americas at HQ and at the Country level.
- He/she will be responsible for managing the patient advocacy grants and sponsorship budget and aligning resources across the regions.
- Advance the company’s patient centric mission internally and externally while bringing critical patient insights into the organization to inform decision making.
- Be responsible for patient advocacy landscape assessment, engagement strategy and internal patient representation across pipeline programs.
- In close interaction with the local and/or country specific business, medical and scientific leaders, identify and cultivate alliances and partnership opportunities with a focus on improving patients’ access to potentially life transforming therapies, and advancing national/local patient advocacy organizations’ awareness and education to finally lead to patient access to such therapies.
- Work closely with Therapeutic Area leaders in Clinical Development, Medical Affairs, and Commercial, as well as with Country and Regional Managers, in support of local strategies and objectives, and coordinate with critical internal partners, including Global Corporate Communications, Regulatory and Legal.
- Drive successful stakeholder working teams, proactively identify emerging issues, and effectively communicate the company’s positions on relevant public health, economic, clinical, and political issues to key non-government stakeholders
Skills, Experiences, and Motivations Sought:
- Ideally a demonstrated track record of success in a pharmaceutical, biotech, or biopharma company in Patient Advocacy / Patient Centricity / Patient Engagement role(s).
- Experience in a patient advocacy organization would be a plus.
- Experience in multiple regions would be a plus, with experience in the US with PAOs required.
- Ability to work in a globally diffuse team setting.
- Ability to successfully communicate internally across Commercial, R&D, and C-suite leadership.
- Ability to influence at all levels by being authentic, credible, well-prepared, and trustworthy.
- Have a can-do attitude.
- Demonstrated success in hiring and mentoring would be a plus.
Rita Boyle | Partner
P: 973-656-0220 x735
Corey Ackerman, JD | Senior Partner
P: 973-656-0220 x717
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP – Life Sciences Executive Search
6 Campus Drive | Suite 301 | Parsippany, NJ 07054 USA
www.cornerstonesg.com | 973.656.0220
Examples of Retained Search Assignments:
- CEO | specialty start-up
- US CEO | established European small pharma
- CMO | late-stage public biotech
- CMO | mid-size pharma
- CSO | mid-size global biotech
- President/US Commercial Head | OSD generics
- SVP, Head of Global Medical Affairs | mid-size oncology company
- SVP, Head of Global Regulatory Affairs | late-stage Israeli biotech
- Group VP, Global Commercial Head | API Business Unit | Indian pharma
- VP, Global Commercial Strategy – Early Pipeline | top rare disease biotech
- VP, Global Head of Biometrics | NYC commercial-stage biotech
- VP, Head of Regulatory Affairs | Boston biotech
- VP, Head of Regulatory Affairs | NYC commercial-stage biotech
- VP, Head of R&D Operations | Boston biotech
- VP, Head of Health Economics & Outcomes Research | Top CNS specialty pharma
- VP, Head of Real-World Evidence | Top 5 pharma
- VP, Head of Heme/Onc Clinical Research | Public oncology biotech
- Executive Director, Head of Global Clinical Pharmacology | Public oncology biotech
- Executive Director, Head of US Drug Safety & PV | Chinese oncology biotech
- Medical Director, Clinical Development | Boston biotech
- Medical Director, Translational Medicine, Neuroscience | Top 5 Biotech
Keywords: gene therapy cell therapy cellular therapy orphan drug ultra-rare Vice President Vice-President VP ED Executive Director SD Senior Director Head