Chief Medical Officer (Head of Global Medical Affairs & Drug Safety) : Multi-Billion Pharma: RETAINED SEARCH
A US-based global pharmaceutical company with multiple billions in revenue and a deep pipeline of biologics and small molecules has retained Cornerstone Search Group’s Physician recruitment practice to help them identify an impactful physician executive with strong global medical affairs experience to serve as their CMO, a newly-created role that will manage a large global team of Medical Affairs and Drug Safety/Risk Management professionals (please note that prior Drug Safety experience is not required). Our client works across a range of therapeutic areas (oncology, immunology, respiratory, CNS, etc.) and modalities (biologics, small molecules, drug-device), so they are open to a range of backgrounds.
- This is a newly-created global leadership position that combines 2 major global functions and oversees hundreds of professionals who work around the world.
- This is a unique opportunity to gain experience in Global Drug Safety & Risk Management as prior experience in this function is not required.
- This role will enable you to play a major role in reshaping healthcare on a global basis as this company has a wide-breadth of therapeutic areas, a large portfolio of marketed products, and an extensive pipeline that can really impact the quality of healthcare globally.
- This is a C-level role and the company has very strong compensation plans, including a fast-vesting annual stock incentive plan.
- This is a US-based position and the company will consider an individual who cannot fully relocate, but will work on-site during much of the week.
Compensation: Our client has top-tier compensation, annual stock incentives with fast incremental vesting, a car allowance, and will consider a sign-on bonus to offset the loss of unvested stock and annual bonuses.
This newly-created CMO position will be responsible for two key departments: Global Medical Affairs and Global Drug Safety / Risk Management. This key global leadership role will focus primarily on Global Medical Affairs (developing medical strategies that support their current portfolio of pipeline and marketed assets), work closely with Business Development, and have overall medical accountability for patient safety and risk management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Global business leader accountable for both the Global Medical Affairs (GMA) and Global Drug Safety/Risk Management (GDS/RM) organizations, being responsible for setting organizational strategic direction and objectives, overall quality, compliance, budget and resourcing aspects in service of ensuring all objectives are achieved.
- Drive a strong leadership culture, encouraging engagement and management accountability throughout all levels of the departments. Attracting and hire world class talent, motivate teams, and develop leaders across cultures and geographies in anticipation of present and future needs.
- Drive development of “best practices” within GMA and GDS/RM and create a quality-minded culture, with effective training and an individual sense of accountability through all levels of the organization.
- Drive cross-functional global collaboration.
- Responsible for the oversight, review and approval process of all Medical Affairs activities as they relate to clinical/medical strategies, publications & communications, Promotional Regulatory Committee support, Clinical Managed Markets Strategy, speaker training, and patient advocacy strategies with the overall goal of ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Internally as well as externally, he/she must be seen as a leader and be able to point to established domestic and international KOL networks.
- Serve as the company’s medical representative for business development assessments, offering expert opinion, due diligence activities, and engaging with potential external business partners.
- Responsible for compliant documentation of GMA and DS/RM activities by ensuring effective governance, training, tracking and reporting systems. Develop effective team communication, analysis and documentation of performance of GMA and DS/RM activities.
- Accountable as medical representative to external agencies (e.g. FDA, EMEA), at venues, and with groups (patient advocacy, trade, etc.) as a spokesperson for medical aspects of the company’s portfolio.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- MD or equivalent
- Extensive global medical affairs leadership experience
- Our client is open on therapeutic area as their portfolio covers many therapeutic areas
- Experience in Drug Safety / Risk Management is a plus, but not required
- Outstanding leadership and communication abilities
- The aptitude to manage across a large global organization
- Demonstrated ability to hire and retain top talent
- Experience with building and development effective relationships with KOLs and external partnerships
Corey S. Ackerman, JD | Senior Partner
email@example.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/coreyackerman
973.656.0220 x 716
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP - Life Sciences Executive Search
6 Campus Drive | Suite 301 | Parsippany, New Jersey 07054 USA
About Corey: Corey Ackerman is a Labor Law attorney with BA degrees in both Economics and International Relations. He joined Cornerstone in 2001 and is now a Senior Partner with the firm. Corey’s clients include small and large pharmaceutical, biotech, and generic pharma companies based around the world, and he plays a key role in our Physician recruitment and our Market Access / HEOR / RWE recruitment practice areas.