Chief Business Officer | Innovative Immunotherapy Biotech Venture Fund/Incubator | San Francisco Bay Area: RETAINED SEARCH
Cornerstone has been retained by a unique immunotherapy Biotech venture studio fund to help them identify a Chief Business Officer. The scientific leadership team has a rich tradition of success within the Pharma/Biotech industry and they are looking for a strong and experienced business Leader to oversee the next critical and strategic stages of the Company’s growth. This is a newly created senior leadership role that will own the Business side for the Company.
Our Client has a unique model with its main focus to efficiently validate and develop early drug concepts into advanced development candidate packages that can be spun-out into NewCos or partnered for clinical development. With their plans to expand and launch several immunotherapy-focused companies, this CBO will have the full breadth of internal and external strategic business responsibility across the Company. This role will have an incredible opportunity to expand the company’s vision and grow both professionally and financially with their success. This CBO will have the opportunity to eventually branch out and serve as CEO of one or more of the subsequent companies that are spun-out.
POSITION: Chief Business Officer
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
ATTRACTIVE FEATURES ABOUT THIS POSITION AND COMPANY:
- Innovative Company/Incubator: Work for a unique Company focused on developing innovative immunotherapies with an opportunity to spin off multiple companies.
- Opportunity to own all aspects of Business Strategy and Operations both internally and externally (fundraising, BD, Corp Dev., IR, PR, etc.).
- Exciting Ground-floor opportunity: Come in as one of the first employees and take part in growing the Company. You will report directly to the CEO.
- Unique Culture: Work in a very collegial, fast-paced, and patient-centric environment that allows for faster decision-making and creative approaches to getting things done.
- Strong Leadership Team: Join an experienced Leadership team with a proven track of scientific and leadership success.
- Excellent opportunity to further grow your Career: Opportunity to become the CEO of a NewCo.
- Compensation/Ownership: Our Client offers very competitive compensation packages, and you will also receive an ownership stake within the organization with the opportunity to meet several milestones with further financial rewards.
- Overall responsibility for identifying, evaluating, negotiating, securing, and managing strategic business opportunities that further the overall corporate strategy.
- Serve as the high profile external representative of the company with investors, biopharma/biotech companies, conferences, bankers, and shareholders.
- Drive investor outreach and negotiations. Participate in the creation and presentation of compelling, informative, and impactful messages to the investment community.
- Responsible for operational aspects of the company, including corporate and business development activities, strategic planning, budget development and control, as well as support investor relationships and fundraising.
- Create the business rationale for relevant partnerships for key programs and lead efforts to secure partnerships.
- Creatively structure, negotiate, and complete transactions to support corporate objectives.
- Prepare/present to senior leadership the strategic and financial justification for potential partnerships (includes ability to build, analyze, and summarize financial models).
- Participate in the creation and presentation of compelling, informative, and impactful messages to the investment community, together with the CEO.
- Represent the company at investor conferences, one-on-one investor meetings, analyst meetings and business development meetings.
- Participate as an active member of the Executive Team to develop and implement the company’s strategy and vision.
- Contribute to product portfolio strategy & assessment.
- Establish key business development interfaces with various groups such as internal and external Research teams, Partners, and Investors.
- Identify and evaluate strategic business opportunities: out-licensing and in licensing, academic and industry partnerships, M&As, alliances, and/or joint ventures.
- Attend conferences and seminars; give presentations to current/potential investors.
- Coordinate competitive intelligence. Collect, analyze, synthesize, and report information on competitors, consumers, and other factors that contribute to a competitive advantage.
- Serve as a company spokesperson and understand the opinions of the investment community regarding company performance and industry trends and help represent the voice of the Investor in meetings and presentations to the Executive Committee/Advisors.
- Leverage relationships with key media outlets and reporters to drive awareness for company value proposition, industry thought leadership, and executive profiles.
- Maintain a regular cadence of press releases and media alerts to keep the company on top of the minds of investors, partners, and scientific community.
- Drive the company’s online presence and reputation.
- Coordinate press interviews at conferences and trade shows.
- Graduate degree and/or equivalent preferred (e.g., MBA, PhD, or other).
- 5-7+ years of related work experience, primarily in the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Proven track record in fundraising, M&A and BD.
- Proven management, presentation, strategy, and leadership experience, including developing talent.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills, along with demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional team and be a creative thinker.
- Demonstrated capacity to raise funds for early stage companies.
- Willingness to be a “hands-on” leader in a growing organization.
Cornerstone Search Group considers all inquiries, resume submissions, and any other personal information submitted/shared with us as confidential information. Any information provided/shared with us will not be shared with any parties outside of Cornerstone Search Group without your prior permission.
Viola Serrano | VP & Principal, R&D Executive Search
P: 973.656.0220 x734
Cornerstone Search Group
350 Main Street | Chatham, New Jersey 07054 USA
Keywords: Chief Business Officer, CBO, VP, SVP, vice president, business development, BD, fundraising, M&A, mergers & acquisitions, corporate development, in-licensing, out-licensing, Series A, B, C, strategy, joint venture, JV, investor meetings, investor conferences, fund, biotech, biotechnology, investment community, academic, industry partnerships, presentations, corporate strategy, investor