RETAINED SEARCH: VP (Head), Global Engineering & Strategy – $1.5bn Pharma (injectables/biologics) – New Jersey
Cornerstone Search Group has been retained by a fast-growing, stable and attractive mid-size global pharma company for a newly-created, critical role responsible for designing and implementing global engineering strategies to support current sites (10+ globally) and greenfield sites that manufacture a diverse slate of products (including complex injectables, biologics, and drug/device combos). Our client is growing quickly, and this VP leadership role will play a key role in designing new greenfield manufacturing sites as well as adding new lines to the existing global network of 10+ manufacturing sites. Our client is looking for a technically and strategically strong hands-on and engaged leader who would be excited to tackle this challenging, newly-created role for a fast-growing, dynamic company.
Attractive Features about this Opportunity:
- High Visibility and High Impact: This is a newly-created role for a company that puts a strong emphasis on Engineering and Operations. You will directly report to a President who in turn reports to the CEO. As this is a mid-sized company that is attractively short of layers, you will have interaction with the C-suite.
- Corporate Culture: We have helped this Company hire a number of people in executive and senior leadership positions and we know firsthand from them that they enjoy this company’s focus on quality and fast and logical decision-making.
- Company Stability & Growth: This Company generates significant annual revenues and profits and has been growing quickly and steadily for many years.
- Strong Leadership: Proven executive leadership that is highly engaged, emotionally even-keeled, entrepreneurial, and committed to creating an environment where top-notch people can get the job done right.
Northern New Jersey area. This company is uniquely located such that it is within commuting distance of NYC as well as some of the nicest suburban areas of NJ or NY, as well as in more rural locations near state parks and lakes. If you have school-age children, there are many nearby school systems ranked among the very best in New Jersey and New York.
Relocation Assistance: Yes
- Develop and implement a global strategy for Engineering to include activities supporting API, Formulations and Biologics Manufacturing/Development.
- Partner with R&D in supporting technical development and defining equipment strategies, engineering best practices for equipment selection and facility maintenance standards across all global manufacturing sites.
- Serve as the global leader in growing a strong culture/environment within the Engineering Department.
- Manage a current team of experienced direct reports as well as hire additional staff to handle this company’s growth.
- Oversee global project management resources while holding accountability for all greenfield initiatives, engineering solutions for new products, knowledge transfer to field, engineering standards for asset performance, lifecycle assessment of operating assets, building construction and maintenance standards ensuring all design standards, field execution, GMP standards, etc.
- Leads strategic capital planning, structured capital reviews and post capex assessment supportive of new capacities, innovation and competences.
- Ensures that project scope, objectives, deliverables, timelines and project costs are defined in line with business expectations and priorities.
- Ensure that safety is the highest priority and is built into plant design and operations.
- In partnership with field functions, establish and monitor engineering best practices to enhance asset life and operational efficiencies.
- Drive harmonization of Engineering Process across all operating locations, ensuring global initiatives while enabling sharing and learning across locations and manufacturing platforms.
- Collaborate with key R&D, Field operations and Quality teams to proactively guarantee that appropriate Process Engineering and Automation knowledge and expertise exists within engineering to support existing and emerging needs.
- Work closely with R&D and New Product Development teams in order to proactively provide innovative engineering solutions to new product development process from manufacturing end.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS/BA in a Chemical/Process/Mechanical Engineering or related scientific/engineering discipline is highly desired. An advanced degrees is a plus, but not required.
- 15+ years of engineering experience in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry including ideally global project experience and ideally experience being responsible for a range of sites. Any Manufacturing Operations experience is a plus, but not required.
- Experience working with sterile injectables is required. Biologics experience (DS or fill/finish) is a plus.
Tom Fascia | Partner
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP – Life Sciences Executive Search
6 Campus Drive | Parsippany, NJ 07054 USA
CH: 41 61 508 7010
Recently Completed Retained Searches:
- SVP, Manufacturing Quality
- SVP, Global Head, Oncology Medical Affairs
- Chief Scientific Officer
- Executive Director, Oncology Clinical Research