RETAINED SEARCH: VP, External Innovation/Development: Oncology Biotech
Newly created position reporting to CMO, Boston area
Cornerstone has been retained by a stable and growing Global Biotech focused in innovative Oncology Drug Development across Phases I, II and III. They have a rich tradition and strong appetite for BD/M&A/Licensing and have very strong financial resources to support their further aspirations in Oncology.
This is a newly created senior-leadership role reporting to the CMO. As VP, External Innovation/Development, you will be responsible for establishing and leading the function from scratch. You will own all strategic oversight for external innovation/collaboration/licensing across the company and build a team to support you.
Our client is a Company that offers the “best of both worlds,” i.e. working for a very well financed Company that maintains an agile “start-up” culture: makes quick decisions and fosters a collegial environment. Furthermore, our client has historically offered favorable compensation/relocation packages to attract top talent.
Features about this Opportunity:
Unique: This is a newly created role in which you will have the opportunity to start the function from scratch. You will operate in a Biotech (size, culture), but have the resources and desire to grow externally through collaborations/deals.
Impact: You will work directly with Executive Management and have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact from day one.
Full Ownership: As you will be the highest ranking member of the team, you will have the opportunity to organize the strategy and oversight to your liking.
Proven: Our client has a proven track record within Business Development, Mergers & Acquisition and Licensing and their business model and financial resources support continued growth and expansion.
CEO’s track record: CEO has a strong track record of success in both large Pharma and Biotech.
Location: Boston/Cambridge area
- Define and implement the external innovation strategy in close partnership with senior leadership/counterparts.
- Identify, establish and maintain a network of academic institutions, start-up biotech companies and venture capital firms known for innovative discovery in the field of oncology.
- Develop and incorporate the company’s value proposition as a “partner of choice” to attract potential partners.
- Lead and manage external innovation team to include multiple direct reports.
- Serve as the primary “scout/hunter” for new opportunities by attending conferences, medical congresses and maintaining a strong network in the scientific/cancer community.
- Develop processed and drive the internal identification and assessment of external opportunities in science, technologies and assets from project inception through Proof of Concept.
- Prepare and present value creation models for targeted assets that promote shared interests and risk/benefit valuation.
- Lead all facets of deal structuring, negotiation and closing of strategic alliances and partnerships.
- Collaborate with and lead cross-functional teams internally.
- Present external innovation intelligence and strategy to company stakeholders to help shape future portfolio planning.
- Serve as the alliance/partnership manager for ongoing projects.
- Develop and manage department budget.
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline.
- Extensive experience in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry with expertise in oncology disease biology, discovery and early development
- Established networks across scientific/biotech/pharma/academic communities.
- Successful track record in external R&D, Partnering and/or Business Development.
- Ability to travel without restrictions domestically and internationally as needed.
Tom Fascia | Partner
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP – Life Sciences Executive Search
6 Campus Drive | Parsippany, NJ 07054 USA
CH: 41 61 508 7010