Group Head (MD), Oncology Translational Med/Early Clinical:
Top Biotech: Flexible Academic Environment in NYC
Cornerstone’s Medical Director Practice has been retained by a top Biotech-focused company and industry leader in Oncology to identify a Group Head Physician to lead Oncology Translational Medicine/Early Clinical Development across multiple verticals (strategy, design, scientific/medical rigor, direct reports – 8 to 10, global collaboration, etc.) in a unique and very flexible environment. You will manage a portfolio of global projects including oncology pipeline assets (both in-house developed as well as from their commercial and academic partnerships) and the conduct of “due diligence” on potential assets and collaborative partnerships with small biotechs and academic centers.
Location: New York City. A top-notch full relocation package is offered and our client is also open to flexible working/telecommuting options. Our client would also be open to someone looking to relocate from other parts of world (ie. Europe).
Attractive features about this position and company:
- An opportunity to lead Oncology Translational Medicine that is truly innovative as opposed to typical/old-school models. Our client is a global leader in Oncology, Personalized Medicine and Diagnostics and open collaboration is the norm.
- Best of both Worlds: work for a Top 20 Global Pharma with an incredible amount of stability while also working within a smaller, more nimble Early Development department that allows for the freedom to be creative and try things without always looking over your shoulder. There will not be the same “red tape” that exists in Big Pharma.
- Highly visible position. You will regularly interact and present to Executive-level professionals. This is a smaller, academic environment that consists primarily of higher-level industry professionals that allows for a far more mature/academic environment and general nature to how things get done.
- Manage direct reports to include Physicians, PhD/Scientists.
- Firm has a strong reputation for taking care of its people and has an excellent reputation around the world.
Compensation/Benefits/Relocation: Base compensation is competitive and will also include a double-digit bonus, strong long-term incentive package and top-tier benefits. They further have a very strong relocation package as compared to industry standard.
Responsibilities: Challenges, Expectations and Deliverables for this position
- Serve as the senior-most physician responsible for oncology-specific scientific and drug development leadership, direct report/line management (8-10) and cross-functional collaboration across the site and globally.
- Oversight, design, strategy, and execution of translational medicine plans for projects in the discovery and early clinical development space, from entry into the discovery portfolio to transition to the late phase development group.
- External collaboration and partnership in accessing and nurturing relationships within emerging science from US-based biotechnology companies and academic institutions.
- Ensure strong rationale and justification for entry into humans and/or clinical program based upon data and science.
- Impact clinical and discovery projects by supporting your team in real-time exploration and forward/reverse translation of clinical data.
- Enable proof-of-concept and effective decision making, based on a deep understanding of disease biology and program data.
- Support preparation for and attend governance/executive interactions.
- Support discovery project teams and provide input regarding unmet medical needs and early clinical development plans.
- Contribute translational medicine perspective to discovery pipeline strategy.
- Create an attractive and inspiring environment in order to attract and retain talent.
Experiences, Skills, Accomplishments and Qualities Desired:
- MD degree with a focus within Oncology/Hematology. Board certification is preferred.
- 10+ years of professional experience in Oncology, with a minimum of 5 years in biotech or the Pharmaceutical drug development industry.
- Strong knowledge base in clinical cancer biology research, with a strong publication track-record and reputation.
- Proven strong management and interpersonal skills, demonstrated line- and matrix-leadership experience having managed a team of senior experts.
- Experience in collaborating with teams across geographic boundaries is a plus.
Cornerstone Search Group considers all inquiries, resume submissions, and any other personal information submitted to us as confidential information. This information will not be shared with any parties outside of Cornerstone Search Group without your prior permission.
Cornerstone Search Group, LLC
6 Campus Dr
Parsippany, NJ 07054
P 973-656-0220 x717
Key words: VP vice-president “vice president” “senior director” “executive director”