RETAINED SEARCH: Chief Commercial Officer (build from scratch N. American Comm’l Ops. for $1.5Bn Global Pharma) – Northern New Jersey
Summary: Cornerstone Search Group has been retained by the President of the N. American Region for a profitable and growing $1.5Bn global pharma for a newly-created Chief Commercial Officer position that will build from scratch their North American Commercial Organization for the launch of their first drug in the North American market. Our client has a diverse and attractive portfolio/pipeline focused in Respiratory, Dermatology, Immunology and Oncology (both NCEs and NBEs), and has ~10 assets in clinical development. You will be responsible for overall N. American commercial strategy, the P&L, will build from scratch the Sales and Marketing teams, handle pre-launch/launch activities, serve on the Executive Committee, and have ownership of Commercial Operations for our client’s most sought-after new market.
This is a uniquely attractive “best-of-both-worlds” opportunity because you will enjoy the benefit of working in smaller, entrepreneurial environment while still having the security of a large and diverse pipeline as well as the funding and financial stability that comes from being a profitable and growing $1.5Bn global company. As compared to many commercial leadership roles in mid-size and larger companies, this opportunity immediately cuts through the "red tape" and gives you the ability to be directly responsible for their commercial success and interact at the highest levels of the organization in the US and globally.
We have helped our client hire many key executives at the C- and VP-levels in the US and abroad and they have enjoyed the company culture of fast, logical decision making and working with a very talented and experienced executive team.
Location: New Jersey/New York City metro area. This area of New Jersey is attractively in close proximity to many top-ranked school districts and has a range of diverse geographic living options including New York City, many of New Jersey / New York / and even Connecticut’s nicest towns/suburbs, as well as rural areas near state parks, lakes, and mountains.
Relocation Benefits: Our client will provide relocation for those outside of the area.
Compensation/Benefits: Our client offers competitive compensation packages including an aggressively vesting long-term incentive program.
Attractive features about this position and company:
- High Visibility: You will build from scratch the North American Commercial Organization and sit on the Executive Committee.
- Full Ownership: Ability to set strategy, build and maintain infrastructure, lead all marketing plans, P&L ownership, sales team build out, etc.
- Diverse and Attractive Pipeline: Our client’s diverse pipeline includes late-stage chemical and biological entities as well as drug/device combinations in respiratory, dermatology, and immune-oncology.
- Corporate Culture: We have helped this Company hire several people in executive leadership positions in the US and abroad and we know firsthand from them that they enjoy this company’s focus on fast, common-sense decision-making.
- Company Stability & Growth: This Company has been growing quickly and steadily for many years.
- Proven Executive Leadership: The executives here are highly engaged, emotionally even-keeled, entrepreneurial, and committed to creating an environment where top-notch people can get the job done right.
- Attracting Top Talent: We have worked closely with our client and have seen first-hand that they will compete for top talent and make strong, logical offers.
Responsibilities: Challenges, Expectations and Deliverables for this position:
- Build out the necessary commercial infrastructure to ensure the maximum performance of launched products and provide appropriate support for sales administration and compliance.
- Responsible for top-line sales and the P&L.
- Effectively and efficiently build headcount, IT spend and expenses in line with budget and product launches.
- Develop and implement overall sales and marketing strategies, including pricing & contracting, market access and coordinating new product launches.
- Develop Strategic Marketing Plans by using a wide variety of promotional, personnel resources and analytical tools to maximize effectiveness, based on the local assessment of customer needs.
- Ensure Brand development and growth.
- Build the company sales force into a top tier organization. Create a high-performance team with a strong sense of urgency and clear accountability for results.
- Effectively organize and deploy commercial resources to achieve both short-term and long-term priorities.
- Provide key strategic insights to R&D, Business Development, and others within the organization. Inform stakeholders about results of key commercial activities and how they impact products in development.
- Build strong relationships with the most productive and influential customers, including KOLs and other centers of influence.
Experiences, Skills, Accomplishments and Qualities Desired:
- 15+ years of progressively senior experience in sales and marketing within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Previous full P&L responsibility for a commercial organization.
- Small or mid-size pharma experience strongly desired.
- Experience leading sales teams that have introduced new products into the U.S. market.
- Experience building a sales team or commercial organization from scratch is desired but not required.
- Experience in their therapeutic areas is a plus, but not required.
- Prior experience of having scaled a business through product and market development initiatives.
- An understanding of the US retail-based pharmaceutical market landscape.
- Budget management skills to effectively manage costs.
- An understanding of regulatory frameworks and pathways for the geography.
- Driven to deliver quality results on time and in a highly ethical and professional manner.
- Strong communication, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Organized and logical along with a high degree of flexibility to change direction when needed. Must be comfortable with the change and ambiguity that comes with working for a fast-growing company in a dynamically changing environment.
- A strong understanding of business operations management.
- Strong execution mindset for business growth and excellence.
- An ability to provide clarity of direction and decisive action.
- Ability to quickly translate strategy into actions.
- Ability to inspire, empower and coach teams for excellence.
Thomas Fascia | Partner
P 973-656-0220 x717
CORNERSTONE SEARCH GROUP - Life Sciences Executive Search
Six Campus Drive | Parsippany, NJ 07054 USA
Recently Completed Retained Searches:
- SVP, Head of Global Medical Affairs
- VP, Head of Oncology Clinical Development
- Group VP, Global Commercial Head – API Business Unit
- VP, Head of Biologics Business Development
- VP, Head of R&D Operations
- CSO, Mid-size Global Biotech